Freephone
0800 169 2383

Birmingham damp carpet woes highlight importance of carpet cleaning

Around 35 people had to be evacuated from a hostel in Birmingham city centre because of a damp and dirty carpet.

Ten people were taken ill at the hostel and were treated by ambulance staff. Although the residents that felt ill were located in one area of the four-storey hostel, the other residents were evacuated as a precaution.

When members of the fire service arrived on the premises, they found a strong and unpleasant smell. This had been caused by a hostel resident accidentally flooding a room. The smell of the damp carpet combined with odour from cleaning materials in the room created a very unpleasant smell which caused the ten people to feel sick.

Although no one had serious health issues because of the incident, it highlights that too much water on a carpet can cause very unpleasant smells. Floods can be caused by rivers banks bursting or from taps being accidentally left on.

Water damage to carpets needs to be dealt with quickly. Fans and humidifiers should be used to dry the carpet and the room, then the carpet should be bleached to get rid of germs and prevent mould growth. The carpet then needs cleaning by a professional carpet cleaning service who have the equipment and cleaning fluids to thoroughly clean all dirt and debris from the carpet. Domestic vacuum cleaners cannot remove ingrained dirt trapped in carpet piles.

Whether your Cheshire home has been flooded or not, it is a good idea to have your carpets regularly cleaned by a professional carpet cleaning service.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment